First contingent of wounded soldiers arrive at Oldway 27 September 1914

Abridged from the Paignton Western Guardian, 1st October 1914

The wounded who reached Southampton on the “Carisbrooke Castle” at noon on Sunday, reached Paignton at 7.30pm, travelling in well-fitted up train belonging to the Great Central Railway Co. The crowd which had been gathered during the evening had by this time assumed considerable proportions. Access to the railway station was permitted only to those departing by train or whose duties necessitated their being present. Among those on the platform were Mr. Paris E. Singer and Mr. Ernest Lane F.R.C.S., the principal medical officer. The 150 wounded were representative of seven different regiments, including the 3rd Devons and Scotch and Irish Companies, and were disentrained from the up platform. The majority were wounded in the lower limbs, but there were some thirty cot cases. These were the more seriously injured and had to be removed from the train on stretchers. Many of the others, with the assistance of the Army Medical Corps who travelled with them, were able to walk to the conveyances which were in waiting to convey them to the hospital. They were in good spirits and chatted and joked freely.. A few had their heads bandaged, but the greater number had received injuries to the feet and legs - the effects of the enemy shrapnel shell. They were of course well supplied with souvenirs of the fight - they had been in the Battle of Mons and subsequent engagements - and a spike from the celebrated German spiked-helmet was a greatly treasured trophy.

The “Carisbrooke Castle” had 800 wounded on board and it was stated that for the next ten days 1,000 wounded would arrive in England each day. Of the others who were brought to England on the well-known liner on Sunday some were sent to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester. On the train that conveyed the men to Paignton were Col. Cockill, a sergeant corporal and eight men of the R.A.M.C.

Regiments Tagged - Devon